The Junior League of Springfield has taken the first steps towards increasing cultural consciousness within our membership.
2017-2019 League Year
During 2017-2018 league year, we adopted the following commitment statement:
Diversity & Inclusion Statement: The JLS welcomes all women who value our Mission. We are committed to inclusive environments of individuals, organizations and communities.
2018-2019 League Year
During the 2018-2019 league year:
- JLS board members completed an initial board / leadership assessment
- JLS Board of Directors created a Diversity & Inclusion task force
2019-2020 League Year
During the 2019-20 league year:
- Members of the task force met and worked together to identify a starting point for JLS.
- A diversity survey was created, conducted and completed during the beginning of the league year. The results of this survey were shared with the board and the task force.
- Members of the D&I task force met with Francine Pratt, former president of Missouri’s Springfield NAACP chapter. Francine is spearheading several diversity and inclusion projects within the community and has also worked closely with the Junior League of Springfield on past projects. The task force worked with Francine to create a plan for JLS and its D&I journey.
- The task force planned and announced a series of workshops for membership to work towards increasing the league’s cultural consciousness. The goal of these workshops is to create a welcoming and open environment for all current and future league members.
- When the COVID pandemic occurred, JLS identified and incorporated a D&I lens when working with all levels of leadership, including the executive, council, and committee levels.
- The first workshop was held in February 2020. The remaining workshops were put on hold during the COVID-19 pandemic, but the task force looks forward to continuing these efforts during the 2020-21 League year.
- Released A Message From JLS Leadership reaffirming our commitment to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment. Provided resources specific to racism and personal development.