The Junior League of Springfield (JLS) is currently seeking applicants for The Mary Riley Wolfe Memorial Scholarship which will be awarded this Spring. The Scholarship has been awarded annually since 1995 and has awarded a total of $49,000. It was established as a tribute to Mary Wolfe, a JLS past president, who lost her battle to cancer. Mary was a teacher and dedicated volunteer.
JLS is seeking applicants who are well-rounded individuals involved in their school and the
community. Applicants must exhibit leadership qualities and a strong volunteer history.
The Scholarship Committee will be focusing on the following criteria when making its decision:
- Community Involvement and Volunteer Impact
- Essay – 500 word maximum
- Extracurricular Activities and Employment
- Scholastic Achievement and Honors including leadership roles
JLS will award two scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each. The scholarship winners will be honored at the JLS Spring Annual Meeting. Funds will be paid directly to the designated
institution and are to be used only for tuition, books or lab fees.
Eligibility Requirements (included but not limited to):
- A resident of Springfield or one of its surrounding communities
- Attending secondary school full-time
- Anticipating high school graduation in the 2018-2019 academic year
- A U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or U.S. Permanent Resident
- Planning to pursue a degree at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Maintaining a minimum unweighted GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Immediate family members of current Junior League of Springfield Provisionals, Active and Sustaining members and League employees are NOT eligible to receive a League Scholarship.